In this review I will take a look at the HBN Smart plug available from Amazon. Smart Plugs are one the most useful smart home gadgets you can have. I can say that from experience as I use them in my home. They are especially useful during the Christmas season to turn on my Christmas tree lights. Saves me from crawling under the tree to plug it in every night.
What you Need
- 3 Prong Receptacles in your Home/Business
- Wi-Fi network (only supports 2.4Ghz.)
- Alexa or Google Home Assistant (Optional)
How does the Smart Plug work?
These plugs allow you to turn lights, fans, and appliances on or off from anywhere in the world as long as you have an Internet connection and the Smart Life App installed on your phone. You simply plug one of them into any existing 3 prong receptacle anywhere in your home/business then plugin the appliance you want to control. Once connected you can manually control or even have them switch on/off based on the time of day.
There is a simple setup process that must be completed to have these plugs connect to your Wi-Fi. When we did it only took a few minutes to download the App and have our smart plugs connected to our network. The instructions were very clear and easy to use.
If have a Google Home or Alexa assistant you can also control these by simply asking Alex/Google to turn on any or all of the smart plugs. “Hey Google. Switch on the Christmas lights” or “Alexa. switch on the Christmas lights“.
Another great feature is the ability to setup a Scene which allows you to control multiple smart plugs with a single command.
So my overall experience with this smart plug was very positive and I believe they will be a great addition to my arsenal of smart gadgets.
Do these have the ability to dim my lights?
No. They can be used to turn items On or Off only. No dimming functionality.
Can I control a heater with these?
It will depend on the rating of your heater. These plugs can control up to 1875W Resistive/15A, 625W Tungsten/5A, 1/2 HP. You need to make sure the heater conforms to these specifications before using. If unsure then we recommend contacting an electrician for advise. Heaters are resistive loads.
Do you need Alexa or Google to use these?
No. You can download the Smart Life app to control them and set schedules. However, without these voice assistants you would not be able to issue voice commands.
Is it compatible with Google Home and Alexa?
Yes. It is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT which allows to to connect and control other smart home devices.
What happens when there is a power outage?
On restore of power after a power outage the smart plug will reconnect to your Wi-Fi network and will retain any schedules and information set. However, the smart plug will remain OFF for safety reasons.
Pro's & Cons
During my review I have identified the following Pros and Cons
- Works with both Google Home and Alex
- Easy setup and connection to your home network
- The bottom outlet in your receptacle remains accessible (smart plug must be plugin the top outlet).
- Uses the Smart Life App which is widely used by other devices allowing you to use one app for many different devices.
- Only one smart plug can fit in a single receptacle.
If you are looking for an easy to install smart plug that is dependable then these units are a good choice for the money.
Products Included in this Article
- HBN Smart Plug Mini 15A, WiFi Smart Outlet Works with Alexa, Google Home Assistant, Remote Control with Timer Function, No Hub Required, ETL Certified, 2.4G WiFi Only, 4-PackHBN Smart Plug Mini 15A, WiFi & Bluetooth Smart Outlet Works with Alexa, Google Home Assistant, Remote Control with Timer Function, No Hub Required, ETL Certified, 2.4G WiFi Only, 2-Pack